11.23.2014

DIY Headboard Re-Do

I've been obsessed with wing-back tufted headboards lately.  After moving into a house with all grey walls the beige headboard I made last year looked a little odd.  The master bedroom is still a work in progress and I haven't been really inspired.  I decided to disassemble the headboard, rebuild it, and move it into the guest room.  There aren't a lot of in-progress pictures.  I generally followed the instructions on this website.  I didn't do a terribly nice job of the side wings, but likely no one will notice but me.  The project took about five hours once I had all the materials assembled.


 All stripped down to original plywood, this time framed with some 1"x4"s for better stability

 Button making happened while watching trashy reality TV


The bed has been moved to the other side of the room so I could plug the side lamps into the outlet that is controlled by the light switch.  One of the annoying things about cheap modern construction is that houses rarely come with built-in overhead lighting!  The nightstands are the old bar stools I picked up a few years ago.  I am wrapping the support rungs with rope in order to create small shelves for books and other bedside stuff.

Cost rundown:
Plywood (previously purchased): $28
Old 1"x4"s: $9
Two more 1"x4"s: $9
Two 1"x6"s: $24
Fabric: $35
Batting: $30
Two button kits: $20

Total: $155

Given that most tufted wing back headboards run upwards of $300 or even $500, I'm feelin' pretty good!

P.S.

Su slept on the old batting and fabric this weekend so I turned it into a nice kitty cushion for one of our living room chairs.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment